Monday, March 14, 2011

A Village in Takayama

It has been depressing reading and watching the news recently, and I believe that regardless of our individual religous beliefs, most of us are in prayers for the Japanese. I fervently hope that good news will loom in the horizon, and the Japanese will emerge stronger from this ordeal.

In the last of my Japanese-inspired sketchbook project submission,  I attach here a sketch of Hida Folk Village in Takayama, a picturesque 'open air museum' in Gunma prefecture in Japan. It was one of the destinations in our packaged tour itinerary during my central Japan tour a few years back. It is one of the loveliest places I've ever seen, a green expanse of valley, scattered with carefully preserved traditional houses with thatched roofs, and surrounded by rising mountain peaks. I understand that the north-eastern coast of Japan was the hardest hit region, and I guess the Gunma prefecture, being in the northwestern part of the Kanto plain and mostly mountainous, was not affected by the quake and tsunami.




The village is far more beautiful than what my limited drawing skills could possibly render, so please excuse my lack of skill and do take my word for it, that it is one of the special places on earth that you wouldn't mind visiting again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails