Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Niagara Falls' Grandeur

I have been so behind my postings again, sorry! 

I noticed blogger has a new layout called dynamic view (probably been around since yonks, except that I only noticed this now). I've applied it to this blog, do let me know what you think!

I will resume posting about the US trip last year. We're at Niagara Falls. This will be a picture intensive post, because it's all about the majestic sights, and words can do no justice.

We reached Canada specifically Niagara Falls at night. Although the Falls looked spectacular at night, alit with colourful lighting, I personally thought the Falls in the day was more picturesque, more natural and less jazzed up in Vegas-style.





We took a morning walk by the Falls the next day. As you can see, the pavements were wet from the morning rain. It made the day colder than usual. We were decked out in gloves, scarves, coats and double layered tops and we were still freezing! Temperature was in the low single digit degrees Celsius.




I don't think anyone can ever forget the experience of seeing the Falls in person so close. It's one of the items on my bucket list and probably on most people's too. It also helps that it's the most majestic, impressive masterpiece of Nature that I've ever seen in my years of travels, and that you can't help gazing at the Falls in wonder and be inspired. It's the kind of scenery that inspires you to sing in tribute, paint it or do something to immortalise it.




The torrents of falling water were so fast moving and strong, they sent up huge plumes of vapour that could be seen miles away.




It's said that the view of the Falls from Canada is more beautiful than the view from America, and I tend to  agree. So glad we came to Canada. ;)

After the morning jaunt by the Falls, we went to see a short movie about the Legend of the Niagara Falls. I was quite tickled by some of the feats people in the past have attempted at the Falls. One school teacher had herself wrapped in a blanket and shoved into a wooden barrel with her cat. The barrel was left floating along the river and it eventually plummeted down the falls. Fortunately the woman and her cat were unscathed from the ordeal.

Lunch was at an excellent revolving restaurant at the Skylon Tower. What a wonderful entertainment idea. You start off your appetiser with a view of say, the horseshoe falls and for main course, you observe the ice bridge and by the time you get to dessert, you would be looking at Bridal Veil. You'd be too busy looking at the amazing view, which could more than make up for a lack of conversation with your lunch/dinner companion.



Looks a teensy bit like Singapore's Prima Tower, housing Singapore's only revolving restaurant




Great view of the Bridal Veil Falls



Main course - Canada's famed salmon - delicious


I hope this post makes you realise why Niagara Falls is a must-go destination when you visit western USA.

Ta ta for now. Hopefully you'd see me back in this space soon once I figure out how to quit procrastination. :-/


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails