Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Recent Joyful Occupation

If I'd known what joy I could derive from drawing and painting, I'd have taken up classes a long time ago. As it goes, life and work got in the way. Nevertheless as I always say, better late than never!  

Some months back, when I had the free time and opportunity to take up classes, I googled, researched and narrowed my selection of teachers, and eventually chose Mr Jimmy Quek, one of the best art teacher I've had so far (counting those I've had in school). I chose to learn acrylic painting, very commonly used by many modern artists being available only in the 1950s. FYI, oil paints were commonly used by the famous Renaissance masters and are very slow drying, sometimes taking weeks to dry.  



My first acrylic painting on canvas

More about my first class after the break.


My first lesson was a study of colours, tones and shadows. Acrylic paints are very versatile and fast drying, which meant that if I made mistakes, I could always paint over the mistake. I also found that it takes skill and experience to know how much and which primary colours to mix in order to derive certain colours and shades.

Normally we start off drawing using a watercolour pencil as it's soluble and will disappear after acrylic paint is applied on it. As you can see below, the first layer always look unattractive, that is, until you carefully blend and touch up the work until you get the final work below.


First layer





It's not much, but hopefully with practice I'd get better. 

You can find out more about Mr Jimmy Quek's classes, his impeccable resume and works here.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails